Reader Engagement Project:
Counting Activities for Indoors or Outdoors
In the picture book, Around the Neighborhood: A Counting Lullaby (Amazon Children’s Publishing), the popular lullaby “Over in the Meadow” is reimagined with neighborhood families–including a mother and her child, a dog and his puppies, a spider and his spiderlings, and a mallard and her ducklings.
With Curious City’s Story Hour Kit, families take a trip “around the neighborhood” when they sing and hum along to this new version of the classic lullaby, play a game of animal identification, count to ten, and with a simple craft, create a necklace of counting cards.
The kit includes:
● Around the Neighborhood Story Hour Kit
An Activity for Libraries and Early Childhood Classrooms that invites families to listen to a reading, to search for the featured animals 1-10, to gather counting cards, to string the cards on a necklace, and to leave with an ecouragment to have adventures with their children “around the neighborhood.”
● What We Saw “Around the Neighborhood”
An activity sheet that encourages families to explore outdoors and discuss and record their adventures.
● Around the Neighborhood Counting Posters
Free 1- 10 posters to hang in a home, classroom, or library.
Tools for Engagement:
• Download the Around the Neighborhood Story Hour Kit for Libraries, Early Childhood Classrooms & Families (PDF)
• Download the Around the Neighborhood Counting Posters for your Home, Classroom, or Library (PDF)
• Discover Other Tools on Author’s Website
Public Children’s Librarians, Early Childhood Classrooms, Play Groups, School Librarians, Pre-K-1
Children Grades PreK-1
Based on the Book:
Around the Neighborhood: A Counting Lullaby
By Sarah L. Thomson
Illustrated by Jana Christy
Published by Amazon Children’s Publishing
Available in Hardcover
Ages 3 and up